Dimensions organize your list of like-items for collecting, calculating, reporting and analyzing all measures.
|Build each of your dimensions in one place - one place to update and organize dimension items.
Hierarchies are built within a dimension, and by combining dimensions.
Dimensions are the basic foundation of your apps. A dimension is a list of like-items. Examples include time, products and customers, employees and cost centers.
Building a new dimension
You can build a new dimension by:
- Add new table (use dimension table is best), then copy/paste or start typing in your items in the dimension area.
- Within an existing table right click on any dimension header, open the context menu, and add the new dimension into the table.
- Import the dimension.
Add items, rename, reorder and display All Total example
Working with a dimension
Each dimension has a name, and contains items and their hierarchy as well as a series of attributes and actions controlled by its context menu.
When combined with measures, dimensions are the (blue) rows, columns and pages of the app and its tables.
Working with the dimension context menu
Right click on a dimension item to open the context menu. From here you can update the dimension link, data type, the dimension layout and order, build the dimension hierarchy, add/delete or show/hide dimension items.
Building a dimension hierarchy
Adding summary levels into the dimension drives hierarchy building.
- Use to add a new (parent) item to the dimension, drag a child item onto the parent to , and once the level is built drag all other child items into the required position.
Once the dimension contains a summary level, continue to build as many summary levels as needed to consolidate into your own All total.
- Alternatively, right click to open the dimension context menu, add, and select the summary level option.
When adding a new level, a level-data entry item (with the name of the new level) will auto-add. This allows data entry and adjustments at this level in addition to all of the items consolidating into the level.
Managing the level-data entry item
If the level-data entry item is not required it an be hidden or suppressed.
- At the dimension level, hide the item just like any other using right click and hide.
- At the table level, use the Display menu and uncheck the Display data at summary levels option.